HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
eight
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 2355
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:07 pm

First of all... im really impressed wit some of the member here that very good at photography... and some photo you guys post looks really professional... me not so good... just shoot no style... Sad

im just using a sony cybershot digital camera... dont have any fancy SLR... Sad (does what camera we use matters?)

Can anyone share tips how it is done... i have seen in the internet some people have like small box they made with white background with lighting and all to take nice picture of the model car or/and other products...

example got from internet...

here is some of my not so professional photos i have taken...

The base is shiny because its a grass surface...

this one just put white A4 paper, enhanced/touch up in photoshop (cheating abit...hehehe)

some group photos i tried out... not so good Sad

can anyone share some tips... thanks in advance...
Back to top Go down
cooolman
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 1858

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Awesome! Look really cool, the lighting position is correct, just only have to improve your focusing. Just sharing my opinion , hope this will help. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.hwc.com.my
liette
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 pm

A better camera would help alot i.e. a DSL. It's gonna cost a bomb though.
Back to top Go down
http://icecoldiscool.blogspot.com
eight
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 pm

me... focusing not so good... empat mata... Shocked heheh
i just only digital camera focusing option in the camera very limited...
anyway thanks for the constructive comment... Smile

DSL:em... tak cukup budget... but was thinking if got budget to get a NIKON D40 or D60... D80 also not bad... any recommendation...

Last edited by eight on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sinclair
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 14260
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 pm

There is no cheating in using photoshop. Nobody can get the perfect photo without the right equipment. And this is not a photo competition anyway.

As a noob, I always use editing software to make my photos better since I use a P & S camera also. It is difficult to get the correct brightness and even-ness of light over the subject.

You don't need a high-tech set-up like those above, but need to get the basics at least - enough brightness, no direct light on subject, don't use flash and have some light-colored background and sides (to bounce the light over the subject). Shooting without flash requires a steady hand, better yet, use a tripod for the camera. The better the quality of the original picture, the better will be the 'photoshopped' version.

Me still learning and experimenting taking photos.

Btw, your pictures aren't half bad, bro. I like the glass reflection!
Back to top Go down
http://sinclair-lyn.blogspot.com/
eight
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 pm

mr. sinclair: thanks for the tipp sifoo... Smile
i always admired your photos... i have learned few important tips from you... the best one is NO direct light on the subject... i been doing it the wrong way... direct light on the subject... hehheehhe no wonder la photo always have glare or big white shots..... basic rules also wrong... Razz
Back to top Go down
kukubeh
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 2809
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

eight wrote:
me... focusing not some good... empat mata... Shocked heheh

DSL:em... tak cukup budget... but was thinking if got budget to get a NIKON D40 or D60... D80 also not bad... any recommendation...

if you bought DSLR, remember to set aside some money for macro lens as well. =)
Back to top Go down
http://kukuspace.blogspot.com
cooolman
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 1858

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:54 am

kukubeh wrote:
eight wrote:
me... focusing not some good... empat mata... Shocked heheh

if you bought DSLR, remember to set aside some money for macro lens as well. =)
Wow,talking about the macro lens, it will cost a lot man! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.hwc.com.my
kukubeh
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 2809

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 am

Quote :

Wow,talking about the macro lens, it will cost a lot man! Shocked
welcome to dslr world. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://kukuspace.blogspot.com
kuih_tiow
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 2307

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 am

i like your setting eight...esp glass surface!
mine only using 1 table lamp...

using sunlight as source of light also nice unless it is foggy or hazy day
Back to top Go down
eight
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:55 am

hello mr. KT...
the setting is not mine... it just example i got from the internet... maybe i do a simple one soon if got time & space at home... Smile

UK... hazy all the time... Sad
Back to top Go down
kuih_tiow
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 2307

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 am

mr 8
the glass surface urs rite?

now spring time..almost spring Smile
Back to top Go down
cawan
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:14 am

i flash my object with white led light + lampu syiling rumah.. a4 paper background.. p&s only also la..
Back to top Go down
YU5H
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 1812

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

huh... bro..

i just use Olympus 5 mega pixel camera..

first set the pic setting to the highest..

second put the car from camera around 5-6 inch, dont hold the camera otherwise will "gegar"..attach it to tripod or put it on a lelvel place, if ur camera has portrait mode. select em. auto mode not much of help.

3rd take more than 1 snap.. u have to sabar alot since using digicam except for SLR.. lalala (when will i get my SLR)

4th... use photoshop huhuhu (ur the master in this)

5th use ur creativity

just 2cent
Back to top Go down
dreamer_adrian
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:32 am

i using Canon cyber shot A80 4 Mega pixel... but for truth wat sinclair said, we need a right equipment...

setting a box for photo shooting and some lighting can be more PRO, but more space u need... i had saw some member using table lamp as a lighting, but u have to filter the light for not over contrast... let me show my so called STUDIO Laughing .. only need a tripod and 2 mounting board...
Back to top Go down
http://dreamer-adrian-gallery.blogspot.com/
YU5H
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:48 am

yerp... to be more pro.. more equipment
Back to top Go down
dreamer_adrian
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:55 am

My equipment...

A Tripod

Mounting Board

and a small studio

i using Room lighting, as we know, the lighting is not enough to show the contrast of the car.... (is better to shoot on daylight) so i using photoshop to touch-up and enhance...

here the tutorial Very Happy hope can help u guys

Step 1, as u can see, the original photo is just too dark ....use the curve tool (CTRL-M), pick the red circle icon, and select the background. Curve tools is easy to use on White/Plain background. Remember not over exposure on the car whn u using the CURVE tools, as the background can touch up afterward.

Whala ..

and clear the background line, make it clean by using Paint tools...

There u go

Last edited by dreamer_adrian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dreamer_adrian
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 am

this is how i took the photo...

u will need to use a bigger mounting board (to cover background) if u want to shoot lots of cars in one time
Back to top Go down
dreamer_adrian
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:02 pm

One more thing, remember to use MARCO, and dont use Flash light, or the picture will be over exposure... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
YU5H
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:09 pm

guys... more simple yet practical for those who don't know how to use photoshops..

put tape ur on top n bottom of ur paper. top paper stick to the wall n the tape the on the table top.

ensure it's on a table put next to the wall

u will have an infinity curve, mostly photography studio does.

look at my example

have fun trying!
Back to top Go down
YU5H
Active HWCM Member

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:12 pm

dreamer_adrian wrote:
One more thing, remember to use MARCO, and dont use Flash light, or the picture will be over exposure... Very Happy

yerp... i agree with it..
Back to top Go down
aphong2681
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Here r my tips:-

1. Use Macro/Super Macro (most p/s cameras nowadays hv this function) if possible so can capture all the tiny details..

2. Can use flash but need something to diffuse the light.. for hot-shoe flash can use a diffuser.. for built-in flash, can use 3M translucent tape..jus tape it on the flash itself. The tape is available at most stationary shop for less then RM10.

3. Use tripod, but remember to switch off the image stabilization/VR feature.

4. Use the widest focal point (f-stop) ur camera can offer.. this creates deeper depth-of-field effect (subject stay sharp but bg is blurred).

Notes:
1. smallest f-stop is the widest focal point.
2. smallest f-stop giv deep DOF, highest f-stop giv shallow DOF.
3. Wide-angle lense 28mm and lower, giv great shallow DOF (subject & bg stay sharp)

Have fun shooting ur photos! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:15 pm

If your camera had the EV option, try to increase the value, you will see some different at the background exposure. This is what i found out when i do my car shooting. Like the the yellow civic, the backgorund look dark and no even, and if u use flash with no look nice, so the EV is useful in this shooting. Try and see with the EV feature, it will change the photo outcome.
Back to top Go down
loon
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 576

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

A good photo, you need good controlling lighting!
Some people add additional lamp like External Flash or table lamp, some using reflex light on object.

For sure, DSLR can get a better photo quality especially in low light condition!
Back to top Go down
http://diecastlife.blogspot.com/
cawan
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

yeap, super macro mode + no flash!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?   

Back to top Go down

Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HWCMalaysia.com Message Boards :: Others :: Off Topic-
Jump to: