Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zedd_68
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Counterfeits and Collectables    Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

"anything that can be counterfeited, will be counterfeited".

The above is truer with items that are of high value (monetary or ancillary) and high movement volume.

Hot Wheels (and other recognized brands) are therefore susceptible to these attacks.

Are there 'counterfeit Hot Wheels' or matchboxes or maistos?? I can't say that I have come across them, probably because the activities of the last 15 years DO NOT involves anti-counterfeiting or brand protection discussion with brand owners such as Hasbro or Mattel (my ex-colleagues may have).

I do know of REPLICAS (aka inspired-by) that is rampant in the area of Barbie dolls and Transformers figurines (both from different manufacturers).

However, one aspect that counterfeits will look for is "ease of entry and cheaper cost" to introduce such counterfeits.

In the area of collectibles, LOOSE items are the "ease-of-entry" and "cheaper-cost" route that is considered 'Heaven-sent', in any segment of counterfeit industry (yes, it IS an industry, and sometimes surpasses that of the legitimate brand owners).

Why loose is considered heaven-sent?
1) There is no need to duplicate expensive packaging (and sometime brand owners deploy 'anti-counterfeit' or brand-protection marking on their packaging), so cost to market is cheaper.
2) Without packaging, certain track-and-trace can be bypassed, which is what ANY counterfeiter worth his salt would want.
3) product scrutiny will be "of less importance" due to the claims of 'slight damage during transport' or manufacturing variance etc.

4) and probably one that may be used quite frequently in small collectable markets; production overruns and/or reject with slight variation/damage.

One of the deplorable activities that is happening on a DAILY BASIS in Malaysia (and some hot spots in the region) is this manipulation of production runs and QC processes, to benefit certain group or sub-groups, both inside the manufacturing and the 'dealer/channels' that exist outside of the plant.

Production overruns oftimes happen to allow additional goods to be produced, without declaring excise tax on them, and therefore provide additional projected revenue on that particular run.

Manipulation of QC is relatively easier for small collectibles such as hot wheels; and the aim IS TO have items 'rejected' without going through a packaging process...thus being able to gather a quantity of such 'rejects' that may potentially be made available via the channel/go-between....onto the hungry and anticipating hands of collectors who would probably want the chance to declare 'i got this first before anyone else'

Whether such collectables are already attacked by 1:1 counterfeit (i.e. complete with colourful packaging), I wont want to venture; however, why would a counterfeiter or go-between wants the hassle and higher-cost of such counterfeit, when 'rejects' and loose counterfeits can easily be transported, distributed, and without knowing, collectors being duped to become the means of transport to other collectors elsewhere in the region/world.

Clothing, Cigarettes, medicine, spare parts, electronics, booze, etc etc. they have all suffered from 'overruns' and counterfeits'; who's to say that collectable segment are immune to it?

Willing victims, 'understood' if one were to buy dvd at the pasar malam? but buying a collectable, loose, and wanting to feel proud about it? I don't think you want to be a willing victim on this one.

Mattel S.E.A. (South East Asia) may have known this becoming an issue, but what actions they are taking or will take, I guess they will look for it from the perspective of implication to their bottom-line.

But if they were looking at this from a regional perspective, and the potential damage that can hit El Segundo if it's left unchecked...maybe they will be quicker in reactin' and actin'

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
crackerjack
Active HWCM Member

Male Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Counterfeits and Collectables    Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:02 am

undercoverbrother wrote:
The best ever hw counterfeit i ever saw was during 7e huntin' days.. at 7e itself, you know those 2 ringgit Tora and Ding Dang kind of toys you never know what's inside until you unbox it, this one features exact hotwheels logo and cars pics (i forgot which casting) on the box cover..
undercoverbrother strikes back! Very Happy

Cheers and happy hunting,
Back to top Go down
trueno

Male Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Counterfeits and Collectables    Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 pm

undercoverbrother wrote:
The best ever hw counterfeit i ever saw was during 7e huntin' days.. at 7e itself, you know those 2 ringgit Tora and Ding Dang kind of toys you never know what's inside until you unbox it, this one features exact hotwheels logo and cars pics (i forgot which casting) on the box cover..

I stop buying those for like more than 20 years already. I know the brand still everywhere at mamak newstands and certain convenience stores. I only remember the ads are still voiced by Mat Sentul. hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counterfeits and Collectables    

Back to top Go down

Counterfeits and Collectables
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HWCMalaysia.com Message Boards :: General Discussions (HW ONLY) :: HW Discussions-
Jump to: